‘I’m just the kind of guy who will be killed’: Man who died in ‘death trap’ set to go free
Posted On September 15, 2021
It’s one of the most notorious death traps in America, where people are held in a cage and then shot.
But a Florida man who was in that prison for almost five years has gone on trial for his part in the murders of two young women in a ‘deathtrap’ in the industrial bedroom of a suburban home.
A jury has found John David Suggs guilty of first-degree murder in the death of his daughter and a woman in the same home.
He faces life in prison if convicted.
He is also charged with kidnapping and conspiracy to commit first- and second-degree murders.
The two victims, who are in their 40s and 50s, were killed in a “death trap” in the home on February 5, 2018, when they were forced to watch as Mr Suggers, 52, shot their bodies and stole their phones.
The victims had been using Mr Soggers phone to call for help and were later found in a nearby field.
The judge sentenced him to life in jail without parole.
‘A very sick and twisted, very, very twisted human being’ One of the victims, a 29-year-old woman, was killed in the “deathtrap” after she refused to go with her father and stepmother into the house.
Another woman, also in her 40s, was shot in the head and later died at a hospital.
The second woman, who was 17 at the time of the killings, died in the hospital in January 2018.
The court was told Mr Siggers, who had been on parole for a burglary conviction, had threatened the other victims with the death penalty before the murders.
Mr Saggs was arrested after his girlfriend saw him walking through the industrial room.
He had told her he had shot her father, his stepmother and another woman.
He said he was angry because she was with her boyfriend and he would kill her, the court was shown.
After his trial, the judge described Mr Sudders as “a very sick, twisted human, who would have killed anyone”.
‘My conscience has just been torn’ Mr Sedders, the father of four young children, was released on bail at the request of prosecutors, who said he had a history of mental health issues and “will not commit another crime”.
Mr Souders told the court he was not a violent person and had a deep sense of remorse for the deaths.
He also said he did not know who killed his daughter, but that he was proud of his daughters accomplishments.
He told the jury he would have had a “very, very tough time” if his girlfriend had not come to the house to rescue her.
“My conscience just has been torn,” he said.
The jury was told the women had been forced to sit in the cage, which had been fitted with a video camera, to watch.
The video camera had a camera inside, so when the camera started recording, Mr Soods could see it.
“If you were to take a picture, you would be able to see the hole, so it would be easier to see,” he told the jurors.
When asked if he would still be alive if his daughter had not called for help, Mr Oster said he would “probably” be alive.
“I am not an idiot, I do know my conscience,” he was quoted as saying.
“But I am not going to put myself in the position of putting my family in danger and killing them.