Facebook is shutting down its own war industry subsidiary
Posted On July 19, 2021
Facebook’s chief financial officer is stepping down amid allegations that he accepted bribes from companies in the military.
Mark Zuckerberg has been on leave since August to “morale and personal matters,” according to a statement posted on the company’s site.
The company said it is taking steps to address allegations that Mr. Zuckerberg accepted payments from companies that compete with Facebook for ads and promoted content, including war industries boards.
It said that while the allegations have not been substantiated, it is committed to fostering a culture of transparency in the way it operates.
“We’ve been looking at ways to build a culture that respects people and does not condone any conduct that would be detrimental to Facebook or to our mission,” the statement said.
“These actions will be rolled out over the next few weeks.
For more information on these actions, please visit www.facebook.com/ourwork.”
The board of directors for Facebook’s war industry unit has been investigating Mr. Zuckerman since March, when he was hired to lead a board restructuring after he left the company following revelations that the board had made some $20 million in donations to Democratic candidates.
Mr. Zuckerberg’s tenure as Facebook’s top executive was rocked by revelations that he had received tens of thousands of dollars in campaign contributions from companies with military ties.
The allegations against him came as Facebook struggled with a backlash from the public over the company removing photos of the victims of the Las Vegas mass shooting, as well as other images showing the massacre.
Facebook has since restored some of those images, but the company also said in a statement it was “reviewing our policies and procedures to ensure we are abiding by all applicable laws and rules.”
The company also announced a new accountability initiative aimed at better communicating with companies that work with the U.S. military and its allies, including the U: “In the coming months, we will work closely with our partners in the industry to implement and improve policies and processes to ensure transparency, accountability, and trust.”
In an interview with CNNMoney on Wednesday, Mr. Adler said the board was reviewing the allegations, which came from a complaint filed in federal court in Texas.
The board is also investigating the alleged payments, the statement continued.
“The board has received the complaint and has determined that it does not have sufficient facts to substantiate the allegations,” the company said.
In response to the allegations and its investigation, Facebook has said it has “zero tolerance” for misconduct.
It has also said it would “re-examine our policies, procedures, and policies in the U, in all of our programs and processes, to ensure that our work with our military partners is as safe and effective as possible.”
Follow Stories Like This Get the Monitor stories you care about delivered to your inbox.
The investigation comes amid growing criticism of the company for its handling of the fallout from the Las, Vegas massacre, which left 58 dead and more than 500 injured.
The social network has faced criticism from lawmakers and civil rights groups over its handling and the timing of the posts.
Facebook also faces growing pressure to address the issue of its role in the proliferation of propaganda on its platform.
The Justice Department last month filed a lawsuit against Facebook and its former CEO, Mark Zuckerberg, claiming the company is in violation of the Foreign Agents Registration Act (FARA) because of its policies that allowed a Facebook subsidiary, called VKontakte, to promote pro-Trump propaganda.
Mr Zuckerberg has said VKontacke has no ties to the Russian government and was founded as a private company in 2009.
Facebook is a favorite of President Donald Trump and his Republican allies in Congress, who have said the company has failed to properly police propaganda.